Friday, January 2, 2009

I know that I am not alone.....and I thank you.



Here I sit at the beginning of a new year. I am only a week away from the Goofy Challenge and I look back and marvel at what I have accomplished. Although I am not slim, I have lost weight. And although I have not trained on a daily basis, I have been faithful in my training and I am happy to say that since March 2008 to yesterday, I have trained a total of 967 miles. I have done most of my training already for the races of next week, completing my 21 miles last Saturday. I improved my time from the last time I did it by about 12 minutes.

Yesterday, I continued the tradition that I started in the year 2000, of getting up and watching the first sunrise of the year. I went and walked by the beach for 57 minutes with my friend, Barbara Flynn. This woman has been a great inspiration for me because no matter how many challenges are placed in her path she has continued to forge ahead and stick with her training. She will complete her fourth half marathon next week. She has ,also, provided me with encouragement throughout my journey.

The second woman that has been a key player in my life, is Nancy Page. As I have mentioned before, Nancy trains with me at least 3 to 4 times a week on the beach. She has always been faithful in her commitment to be better, and has always provided me with encouragement. In the process she has become a good friend too. Nancy finished without too many complaints her first 21 miles last week. Without her I would not have been able to do that crucial part of my training.

So I not only thank God that I have come this far; I thank you, Barbara and Nancy, without the two of you it would not have been so much fun. I look forward to this year, as we all continue to evolve in this exciting world.

No comments: