Saturday, April 9, 2011

Started to enter the Enchanted Forest

Can you believe it, it has been a week since I left Florida, and this part of the journey will be over in a blink of an eye. Today I walked about 20 km and it did cool down finally to where a light jacket was needed for most of the day. Traveled from Portomarin to Lestedo. Staying at the restored rectory of the old church. Since it is early in the season we have the whole place to ourselves.

Galicians believe that their forests are enchanted because the trees look like the ones in the movies, where you can see faces and body parts in their trunks. And so as we entered I realize that today would be a day to battle the demons and giants in my life. I think that no matter how perfect your life is, there is always a struggle within yourself, to choose good and evil. Today I once again looked at this struggle and thought about and fought so good gold overcome evil.

Today was also a day that it mattered not where we walked but who we encountered on that walk. It was not a day to see the beauty with my eyes but to experience the beauty and goodness in the people I walked with and encountered throughout the day.
I met a band of five Spanish friends and Dana, the seeker of Truth, from Australia.

In the end I realized that yes we do the battle , yes we have to fight the demons in our lives, but we don't have to do it by ourselves. Sometimes God will place those people in our lives to help us fight , to lift our spirits and be our Sancho Panza.

Buen camino fellow pelegrino.

Buen Camino fellow pelegrino.

No comments: